#1 Safest City In Georgia—2014
(Safewise Report—50 Safest Cities in Georgia)
Auburn is a community of dynamic energy, combining the feeling of “hometown” with the excitement of creating a new and better tomorrow. It is primed to become a vital part of the growth of this region through its commitment to offering a high quality of life for its citizens, businesses, and visitors. This is a land of opportunity that welcomes those who share the same vision of a greater future.
Auburn is ideally situated within Barrow and Gwinnett counties where opportunities abound. Here are just a few reasons that Auburn is the opportunity you have been waiting for:
- • Ample Available Land
- • Pro-Business Atmosphere
- • Partnership with Lanier Technical College for workforce development
- • Proximity to cultural, sports, recreation, and airport resources
- • Expanding industrial sector
- • Easy access to major interstates
- • Rail access
- • Partnership with Winder/Barrow Joint
- • 69,367 Pop.
- • Job Tax Credits
- • Freeport Exemption
- • Auburn Opportunity Zone
- • -$1350 tax credit per employee - 5 years of eligibility
- • 842,000 Pop.
- • Fortune 500 Headquarters
- • 60 International HQ
- • Highest ranking schools in SE
- • Since 2007—$800m new capital invested resulting in 11,500 new jobs
Redevelopment Areas and Opportunity Zone
Redevelopment Areas give cities broad powers to redevelop blighted or threatened areas of the community and encourages involvement of private/public partnerships. It also
permits the use of tax exempt bonds for redevelopment purposes. These may be secured by loans and grants. Auburn Redevelopment Areas are highlighted on the following map.
Auburn Downtown has an Opportunity Zone which qualifies new businesses for tax incentives.
- • the maximum Job Tax Credit allowed under law - $3,500 per job created
- • the lowest job creation threshold of any job tax credit program - 2 jobs
- • use of Job Tax Credits against 100 percent of Georgia income tax liability and withholding tax provides for businesses of any nature to qualify, not just a defined "business enterprise"
Auburn Downtown Development Authority
Auburn is proud to be the home of the Auburn Downtown Development Authority (DDA). The Authority works hard to bring businesses downtown and offers incentives and information to business owners in advertising, façade improvement, small business seminars and more. Because the Auburn Downtown Development Authority is an independent authority, it has options for public/private partnerships, revolving loan programs and other options that can help a business in many ways. The DDA district includes the Redevelopment and Opportunity Zones which offer special tax incentives to qualifying businesses.