The City of Auburn adopts building codes to ensure that our residents live in homes that are safe from structural failure, fire hazards from electrical and heating systems, electrical shock, and health risks. The building inspector conducts inspections at various stages of construction and issues permits to building projects that meet specific requirements adopted by the Mayor and Council.
Before starting any building project, contact the Community Development Department by calling 770-963-4002 ext. 206 to determine if a permit is required. Bring your completed Building Permit Application to the 1369 Fourth Avenue.
* For next day inspections, requests must be made by prior to 4:30 p.m. Submit your request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 770-963-4002 ext. 206. *
Most common permits required in the City of Auburn:
- New buildings or accessory structures (including sheds over 96 square feet and retaining walls over 4 feet, swimming pools, and fences over 6 feet high)
- Additions (garages, bedrooms, bathrooms, sunrooms, etc.)
- Renovations (basement finishing, kitchen expansions, etc.)
- HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems)
- Electrical systems (service upgrade, rewire, generators, etc.)
- Plumbing systems (including water heaters)
- Residential work (decks, fireplaces, pools, etc.)